Saturday 1 March 2008

Words and tunes.

It's been an interesting week so far. I got to talk to someone from school and by school I mean, class 5. It was a nice flashback and those were good times!

Another good news. I am done with my applications. So at least I won't be whining about those for a while. But the wait, that's another issue altogether. The dreaded wait! Blat.

I did manage to listen to a few new songs. Channel V and MTV suck big time these days. Haven't watched either for some time now. My source these days are either some internet news clips or just songs I pick from shows on AXN. I am a huge fan of House MD. Must say, Hugh Laurie serves sarcasm hot! Also, I enjoy medical mysteries. So the show tops my list of must-watch. Mostly towards the end, they play some really good tunes, in bits and parts. And then over to the two saviours of mankind- Google and YouTube. For all the technical buffs, I know, I know. But I shall still write them separately. So here are a few songs I ended up with over the week in the order Artist, Song.

1) Zero 7 : In the waiting line

The song is decent. Maybe when you're attacked by boredom and you're waiting for something to come your way, like I am at the moment, you'll like this song just for the lyrics and the melancholic ring it has. I found the lyrics to be simple and yet something I wished I had written. Poignant.

2) James Morrison : Wonderful World

I love the Brits. And nope, no colonial hangover here. I've patriotic aspirins for that. In my opinion, when it comes to music, Brits are more creative than the Americans. The lyrics. The music. The videos. They're not the same as the Americans in that for the latter, these are repetitive. A case in point - hip-hop and pop. Plus, I love the Brit accent.
Now onto the song, it is catchy. And for the lyrics, in all probability, it is written for a lover? But the way I take it, maybe it's about the dichotomy of an individual. How at times you think you have just lost your self and you want your spirit to come back. There are times when you think your self has left you stranded and the things are just not working out 'cause you're not your whole self. But then, that's just me. And for that, I like the song!

3) James Morrison : You Give Me Something

It is quite pop-pish. So the song as such does not really go down well for me. But I like this song for these words

" 'Cause you give me something
That makes me scared, alright,
This could be nothing
But I'm willing to give it a try,
Please give me something
'Cause someday I might know my heart.

You already waited up for hours
Just to spend a little time alone with me,
And I can say I've never bought you flowers
I can't work out what the mean,
I never thought that I'd love someone,
That was someone else's dream."

4) Curtis Mayfield - Move on Up

I have to thank my brother for forwarding the link to me. Apparently, this song is from the 70s. And I love it. Especially the lyrics.

" Just move on up
and keep on wishing
Remember your dreams
are your only schemes
So keep on pushing
Take nothing less -
not even second best
And do not obey -
you must have your say
You can pass the test
just move on up
to a greater day
with just a load of faith
if you put your mind to it
you can surely do it"

There are parts of the lyrics that I am doubtful about. But the song is really a treat nonetheless. A song that will definitely make you move. With two pairs of left feet(!), I did!

5) U2 - Window In the Skies

During one of the few times that MTV actually did telecast good songs, I was fortunate to be right there, watching. And that's when I saw this song. The video is really catchy. Darn! How do they think of such stuff and how do they manage to do it?!? I love the band. And again, some great lyrics.

" I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

Oh can't you see what love has done
To every broken heart
Oh can't you see what love has done
For every heart that cries

Love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize"

I won't rhapsodize about U2, 'cause heck everyone knows they rock! :)

Bonus!!!

Check out the Nike commercial set to the tune of "A little less conversation" by Elvis Presley. Any footy fan would love the video, esp Henry's little smartarse move at the end. :P But I did feel bad for Roberto Carlos! It's a pretty old one. But got to see it again, Hail YouTube!

Ok that's that.

pooF.


No comments: