Saturday 8 March 2008

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T Find out what it means"

Today the entire day we had three men pounding our roof with whatever it is that they pound it with. The ENTIRE day. Bang Bang Bang Bang bang bang BANG BANG BANG!

I read somewhere that the best thing about humans is that they get used to things. And I suppose that's what happened today as well. I was up very late last night and since I had no train to catch or attendance ledgers to sign in the morning, I slept. These folks came in very early in the morning and started their bang fiesta. When I did get up at bleep bleep o'clock, my folks were really surprised that I could sleep when the roof was falling. Oh well. Pfft. So Mr.Bush, if you wish to bomb us, do it, say at 6 o'clock. Unless I've an exam that day or an interview, chances are I will be sound asleep then. I seriously wouldn't know.

Alongside I did wonder about the people who were working. It must be sort of dolby surround sound for them up there on the roof. You are banging and then right next to you, you've two others doing the same. I have a whole lot of respect for people doing any kind of job. I think anyone who does his bit to survive and earn deserves it. I believe that, in contrast to the west, that is something we lack. We tend to compartmentalise everything. Give it a label, usually based on caste, creed, religion, proportion in population figures so on and so forth. It saddens me that we forget to understand the background that a lot of people come from and the struggles they've had, the pain and abuse that they've had to endure. I do not claim to understand the gravity of them myself, and that is the reason why I respect them. They are people who have gone through times that are unimaginable for us. I also believe that if God were to put anyone in a particular situation, He will also give you the strength to get through it. I do not wish to preach and I don't intend to take away anything from these people by saying that they'd have the strength to do it. I think it all comes down to our power of choice. Even if you've the strength, you may choose to not acknowledge it and go on a different path, one that eggs you on to give up and let go. It is the one who chooses to use the strength to get out of the situation that survives. More than anything else, more than what these people do, I believe we should respect their decision, their choice to not lie down and let time consume them. They have decided to make time their own, to try and make sense of what has been given to them and to try and go around the obstacles. In a country where we preach about tolerance and unity in diversity, it is time that we just let go of all the preachy utopian principles and vow to respect one another. I think it will go a long way in cleansing the country of dirty manipulations and abhorrent living conditions.

pooF.

PS: In case you happened to notice a lot of "I believe" sentences, you know that I've been writing college essays! :D

1 comment:

Hardik aka 'The Lurker' said...

When I see a beggar, I don't pity him or her. When I see a poor person working really hard, I cannot help thinking how much agony he or she has to go through. Indians lack Dignity of Labor and that costs them much when they migrate to foreign lands.