Thursday 21 February 2008

Update!

It has been a long time since I have blogged. Timestamps are rotten reminder of that. Anyhow, I am hoping to make a come back. Not that I have much to talk about, just that I want to write. Sort of like an itch. I have been toying with the idea for quite some time now. I never could manage to go through with it so far because I was swamped with a few other itsy bitsy thingummies. Anyway, I am hoping to give this a better try this time around! :)

A quick update on what's been happening. My life's been pretty boring and yet 'happening' in a way. I was on an exam-writing spree from April last year till Jan this year. Percentages and percentiles were all my life was about. But now that's done with and I have to say that with around just 4 months of preps, I am sort of happy with my results. Based on those numbers, I am currently applying to every god darn university on the face of the earth. If there was one on Pluto, I'd go for that as well. When you're in school/college, it is so easy to despise exams-the only thing that sucks then! I suppose we are sort of programmed to despise them even before we get there and with the pressure from all quarters that comes with an admit, it's impossible NOT to hate them. But what is most inexplicable is that once you're done with them, you kind of miss them. Of course, in conversations with your juniors who whine about it to you, you can gloat and say "We went through the same thing. What makes you think you're so special and should be spared of this torture, which by the way, right now, is unbelievably entertaining for me?". I don't think I'd agree to write another exam any soon given that my last exam was just last month, and GMAT at that, which is scary in that you cannot flip through the pages and get a feel of the exam before taking it 'cause there ARE NO PAGES! But anyhow, I scored 750. So woohoo! But I am already missing those tests. Sending applications is the worst thing you can ever do. Essays and Statements of Purpose. Especially when we have to write essays for foreign universities. We have a very "academic" process here. We don't do part time jobs. We don't do baby sitting for hourly rates. We don't flip burgers while we are in 10th grade for extra cash. And we really don't have the system of allowances or lawn mowing to make our pockets a little heavier. We also do not have pet sitting or working in super markets. It just doesn't happen that way here. And most Indians believe in finishing all the degrees they can at one go and then apply for jobs. So basically, most of us with a Master's Degree have no work experience. So when you ask for that, we have nothing to show. And also, with the rise in software jobs and such, there are people who can show a year or two's work ex who probably got a lower score and is no better, or even worse off, than the one with no work-ex with respect to the qualities you're after. This cultural gap seems so much more pronounced when you are trying to make the jump. All's well that ends well. So hey, pray for me. I want my happy ending! :D

pooF.

PS: Hope everyone is doing great. I shall return! :)

2 comments:

Hardik aka 'The Lurker' said...

An American bashing session? Its funny to see someone going through all that nitty-gritties of getting into an American institute and then having a dislike for their culture. Odd.

Ms V said...

Yikes. First up, am not going to America. That's another post altogether. Have you seen the fee they charge? I could start a shop here with that kinda money! Or better still, start a savings account and live on its interest! Lol. Not really bashing either. Just that, blank sheets on your application form kinda makes you sad, esp when the reason is a difference in culture! :)
pooF.